No doubt, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Did you know that breakfast secretly has 5 benefits?
1. Breakfast decreases appetite. Studies have shown that consuming breakfast first thing in the morning greatly decreases hunger and cravings throughout the day. Weird right? A lot of people skip breakfast to avoid eating extra calories, but by eating a high-fiber, nutrient-dense breakfast early in the morning, you are actually less likely to be hungry throughout the day.
2. You eat less. This is kind of an add-on to the first benefit of this list. By decreasing appetite, you are less likely to be hungry, and thus, less likely to eat. If you are a skeptic, a study conducted by the Journal of Nutrition in 2011 showed just this, as subjects who ate breakfast reported decreased levels of hunger throughout the day in comparison to the subjects who ate no breakfast.
3. You will improve your memory Carbohydrates are essential for healthy brain functioning. By consuming a high-quality breakfast to start your day, you can improve your memory and concentration levels, as well as improve your mood and lower stress. Different studies amongst children have shown that kids who eat breakfast tend to have improved cognitive skills and perform better at school.
4. You can prevent type 2 diabetes You read that right. There is significant research showing that you may be able to prevent diabetes by regularly eating a healthy breakfast. In a study conducted over a 10-year program, researchers found that people who regularly ate breakfast decreased their risk of diabetes by almost 30%. A possible explanation for this is that skipping breakfast can cause insulin resistance, which is a feature of Type 2 Diabetes.
5. You will weigh less A study conducted in Europe conducted in 2010 and published in the Critical Reviews In Food Science and Nutrition, showed that those who ate breakfast had a reduced risk of obesity and had healthier BMIs.